[theora-dev] theora 1.0a3 opt hint

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at vt.edu
Wed Jun 2 18:30:58 PDT 2004

Much of the indexing in the current libtheora is grossly inefficient. However,
it contributes only a minor amount to the total decoding time. You could
probably do better to spend your time optimizing something else.

That said, I think the experimental decoder I wrote in
/experimental/derf/theora-exp is probably a better base to start applying
optimizations to. Assuming I get a couple of hours to track down that motion
vector problem, that is. It gave me as much as 10% speed improvements (though
I was just talking with someone who said it was much slower with gcc3.3... we
still haven't debugged why).