[theora-dev] Re: [libdv-dev] DV format patent status

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Tue Feb 10 16:10:06 PST 2004

Ralph Giles wrote:
>>With DV in Ogg, I don't think this is an issue.  Mainly because if such
>>a case existed for DV they'd go after the big guys.  The megacorps who
>>are selling videocameras by the millions to everyone under the sun.
>

> Just like with GIF?

The point is that you are NEVER protected from litigation, pure and
simply. SCO anyone? You always have to ultimately prove your point in
court if someone sues you.

Of course trying to assess the field is a good idea, but in practice any
code may be in violation of any number of obscure patents, and the only
valid veredict is the courts, unfortunately.

So if you live on a country where software patents are valid, be
prepared to defend yourself now or in the future. No previous research
in the world can protect you IF a guy decides to suit you. I have
several friends that have received letters from some law office.
regarding a case where a guy was apparently granted a patent that, under
his interpretation, gives him rights over any multiplayer card game
played over a network. And yes, he IS trying to collect on this. The
point is that if you are sued you have to settle or fight, stupid as it
sounds. Read it at http://www.asharewarelife.com/2004_01_25_archive.html

They are even after Solitaire implementations, which is mind-blowing
consider their patent is about multiplayer stuff.

Regards,
Mauricio