[theora-dev] theora.org website proposal

Aaron Colwell acolwell at real.com
Mon Feb 23 16:15:15 PST 2004

I am not a lawyer, but here is my understanding of how the license works.

The binary license only covers the components that don't have public
source available. This includes the RealAudio and RealVideo codecs, RN's
proprietary RDT and PNM transport protocols, a few pieces of the RA & RV
renderers, and a few pieces of the .RM file format reader. The rule of
thumb is that if it requires distribution libraries to build the component
then it would be covered by the binary license.

I believe the binary license is just for protecting RealNetworks IP and
third party IP that RN doesn't have license to distribute in source form.

You can build a player that is not encumbered by this license. Perhaps we
should create a installer that only contains code that is publically
available. I'll make that suggestion to the player team. Vorbis, Theora,
MP3, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, and H.263 would be the main datatypes supported
in such a player. I'm sure there are others as well, but I can't remember
the all off the top of my head.

Helix is sort of a strange beast because most of the code is open to the
public, but other parts RealNetworks doesn't have the rights to
distribute or doesn't want to distribute. Instead of just
keeping everything private, RN decided to release most of the code to the
public so they could benefit and extend it. Just because parts of Helix
are protected by more restrictive licenses doesn't mean that it isn't an
"open source" project.

Aaron