[Theora-dev] theora a3 issues

Daniel Vogel Daniel.Vogel at epicgames.com
Sun Aug 29 16:50:20 PDT 2004

I did a quick test integration of theora into our engine and ran into a
couple of issues listed below.

.dsp files in the alpha 3 zip are in unix format.

Additional include path for the static theora library project is wrong.

Library relies on libogg - would be nice to have a single zip including
all dependencies.

dumpvideo sample relies on global structures being zero initialized
though does not mention it so copy & pasting the code has some nasty
side effects of touching uninitialized memory if those structures are no
longer global. The most likely crash seems to be in theora_granule_time.

decode.c line 467 accesses MVect[1].x which is not initialized if
CODE_INTER_NO_MV is used. Apart from being sloppy programming and
tripping Valgrind it also is problematic if compiled with VS.NET 2003 as
the solution (after auto conversion from a VC6 project) has the runtime
checking enabled which causes it to trip. I just initialized all the
MVect variables where MVect[0] is initialized.

The library compiles with a bunch of C4244 (conversion with possible
loss of data) warnings. Would be nice if those were either explicit
casts or this specific warning was surppressed in the .c files.

On the up- side, all those "complaints" are mostly cosmetic and it
didn't take long to integrate :)

Thanks,

-- Daniel, Epic Games Inc.