[Theora-dev] Questions, MMX and co.

illiminable ogg at illiminable.com
Thu Aug 26 04:00:27 PDT 2004

Just as an aside... has anyone compared these new changes with the results
of just telling Visual Studio 2003 to target a P4/Athlon XP w/ SSE2 with
maximum speed/full-program optimisations for example ? Or if anyone has the
Intel Optimising Compiler... its output.

Obviously hand-writing has the potential to do better than just getting the
compiler to do it (and i don't think gcc is all that special at doing this
automatically if it can even do it)... but the advantage being, that it's
pretty much gauranteed to be equivalent to the original... and it will make
scheduling decisions across object boundaries and make these decisions for
the entire source where applciable rather than just the places where someone
has the taken the time to hand-write it.

Cheers,

Zen.