[theora-dev] VP3 IDCT

Dan Miller dan at on2.com
Thu Mar 6 13:11:24 PST 2003

ahh, I see.  Unfortunately, I cannot recommend changing the spec to fit the application.  I feel pretty strongly about this, as does everyone who had to deal with the problem in MPEG1, MPEG2, and (?) MPEG4.  Going forward, I think you'll find that the newer algorithms (Including upcoming MPEG-4 part 10 aka JVT, H264, AVC) specify the forward and reverse transforms to bitwise accuracy.

Note that you might be able to get away with using ffmpeg's routines for compression (FDCT), as long as you make sure that the reference decoder within the compression engine (IDCT) is precisely equivalent to the spec.  It's the IDCT that causes drift (note there is no FDCT in the decoder, so it is 'non-normative', ie not really part of the spec in a formal sense) - dan