[theora-dev] Re: Final Ogg 1.0 submission to IETF

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Mar 3 13:07:42 PST 2003

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 12:21:18PM +0000, Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Monday, March 3, 2003, at 08:13 am, Monty wrote:
>
> >It might be worth noting that in the mappings proposed right now
> >(audio and video), pages from various logical streams must be
> >interleaved in chronological order.  This is not set by Ogg itself as
> >you note, but may well be the specified convention in every practical
> >use.
>
> Really? I would  have thought you'd want the video a little in advance
> of the audio, if only to reduce latency. Especially if you have
> overlays. Why is this a useful requirement?

It's all about seeking and realtime streaming.  Don't forget granpos
is the last sample/frame you'll get from a page...  You have to buffer
anyway, might as well make it easy to figure out how much.

The practical requirement will less important to playback and libogg2
because its memory and buffer management is insanely aggressive
(fragmented/sparse ring buffering), but it still makes finding one's
place easier, and you'll always be able to know where you can start
audio/video together.

Monty