[theora-dev] Re: A/V sync in Theora

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Fri Jun 13 14:31:04 PDT 2003

David Kuehling wrote:
> You cannot tell people that they can use Theora for one thing but not
> another.  Sorry for not having more constructive comments at the moment.
> You won't be willing to throw away the flawed Ogg concept and stick to
> Matroska instead? ;-)
> David

matroska and Ogg Theora have completely different goals IMHO, and thus
its maybe not correct to compare them. matroska is not really good for
streaming, maybe with some tweaking it could be used for that, but then
its maybe not a perfect solution, depending on the actual requirements.

Ogg Theora's main gooal will be to provide a patent free video streaming
solution, and i am convinced it will be good for that. To make/edit/cut
the video files, it may be an interesting alternative to use matroska
for that, due to its enhanced editing capabilities, and then create the
final Theora file from it in a lossless transmuxing process. We are
discussing exactly this with the MPEG4IP guys, as they dont have the
manpower to make a nice MP4 editing application, and matroska can hold
both AAC audio and MPEG4 video already nicely, and we have a real
editing program supporting us.

Christian