[theora-dev] again - newest cvs and mplayer

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Tue Jun 10 13:59:20 PDT 2003

>> Well...yeah. In fact, it specifically says in the README:
>>
>> "Once more for the record: THIS RELEASE IS NOT PRODUCTION CODE.  It
>> is not for ripping DVDs, writing a Xine/MPlayer plugin or anything
>> beyond tinkering."
>>
>> So...if you want to fix mplayer, go ahead, but you're almost
>> certainly going to have to do it again when another Theroa release
>> comes out.

> from May 11, MPlayer supports decoding of the opensource Theora video
> codec.

Mplayer's Theora support will be unstable, sometimes fail, sometimes
work, as long as bitstream format and API changes.  But as it's usually
only some single lines to change (or to copy from encoder_example), not
a big deal.

You should be glad that the major Linux media players already have
support.  It will help Theora jump-start as soon as you go beta.  It's
also very helpful for experimenting.  May I remember you that the
example player cannot even seek?

David