[theora-dev] dead DCSearchPoints code

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Sat Jun 14 09:47:18 PDT 2003

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Timothy B. Terriberry wrote:

> > 	I can confirm that the search point coding stuff is not used in
> > VP3. I brought this up in February:
> >   http://www.xiph.org/archives/theora-dev/200302/0026.html
>
> I don't know about you, but I got a
>
>  > I haven't looked at this part of the code yet. I'll let you know when
>  > I do.
>
> out of that thread. If you have been decoding pre-existing VP3 files
> without that search loop, however, then that would help confirm that
> eliminating it does not introduce bitstream incompatibility.

        True, that was the official word from Dan on DC search points. But
I can confirm that in the reference VP3 decoder, anything dealing with DC
search points is completely ignored. If a VP3 encoder tried to encode
using the search points, the decoder would not decode the information
correctly.

--
	-Mike Melanson