[theora-dev] A/V sync in Theora

Sam Leitch sam.l at usask.ca
Thu Jun 12 12:32:30 PDT 2003

My apologies for the double post. I was just looking over the Ogg
standard (RFC 3533).

granule_position is not an absolute, which means timing information must
be stored and processed at a higher level.

That begs the question. Who is responsible for synchronization? Ogg,
Vorbis/Theora, or the player software.

Vorbis and Theora are independent streams, which require timing
information(arguably), but no synchronization.
The player requires synchronization, but requires feedback on if it's
still on track (which is what granule-position is designed for)
The most logical method would be to include common
timing/synchronization in Ogg encapsulation. That's the job of the
format, is it not?

This is more a question for the entire Xiph crew, not Theora alone, but
I couldn't find the correct place to present it.

--
Sam Leitch