[theora-dev] newest cvs and mplayer

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Thu Jun 5 13:54:33 PDT 2003

> Hi The newest cvs let's mplayer segfault: ...  Opening video decoder:
> [theora] Theora/VP3 Segmentation fault

Fixed.  Apply the appended patch via `patch -p0 < theora-new.diff' from
the mplayer/main directory of a recent mplayer CVS version.

That's just a quick fix.  Comments are currently discarded.

Some issues with the mplayer ogg demuxer still remain.  It can't
currently detect header packets during seeking, so when seeking
backwards, invalid data are sometmes sent to the decodeder which doesn't
seem to be a problem.

What is the cleanest way to detect header packets?  For vorbis that was
done by checking some bits in the packet, but that method failed for
theora.  I currently don't have the time to do read all the docs and
sources, so I'd be very pleased for helpful comments...

Another problem is the detection of keyframes which I implemented using
some kind of stupid "heuristic".  Someone on mplayer-dev told me that it
should break when bitstream changes, but it still works so far.  So I'm
not very motivated to change it as long as theora bitstream isn't
frozen...

David