[theora-dev] Update on IETF Internet-Drafts

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sun Jan 12 19:29:55 PST 2003

On Sunday, January 12, 2003, at 06:06  pm, Arc wrote:

> I believe this is incorrect as well.  Ogg Theora, to my knowledge, is a
> video codec.  It does not have any formal relationship to Vorbis and
> does not require that a Vorbis stream be present.  You have a Theora
> bitstream and a Vorbis bitstream that are concurrently multiplexed to
> provide the video and audio.  It should be possible, down the road, to
> use Squish, Flac, or Speex in place of (or in addition to) Vorbis, and
> this should have no effect on Theora at all.

I've heard it both ways. There are two different things: the new,
possibly incompatible version of vp3, and an overall spec for embedding
that video, along with audio and whatever else we decide to bless in a
minumum-decodable spec. Initially it sounded like 'theora' referred to
the later, but Dan said last week it was more of the former. Perhaps
it's both.

It may be best to remove that sentence until and if a better concensus
develops for the name. Anybody feel strongly one way or another?