[theora-dev] What's in a name?

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Thu Feb 27 21:52:58 PST 2003

On 27 Feb 2003, Carsten Haese wrote:

> > 	Let's play a little game. Forget all you know, or think you know.
> > Without any context at all, what does the following pattern make you think
> > of?
> >

> >       X -> X    X -> X
> >            |    ^
> >            v    |
> >       X <- X    X <- X
> >       |              ^
> >       v              |
> >       X    X -> X    X
> >       |    ^    |    ^
> >       v    |    v    |
> >       X -> X    X -> X
>
> That's Hilbert's Curve, isn't it?

        Fascinating. I have never heard of that before but it certainly
fits. For anyone who hasn't been exposed to Hilbert's Curve:
  http://www.unca.edu/~mcmcclur/mathematicaGraphics/Hilbert/

        And Jay: Interesting observation with the VCR feed. Personally, I
have been calling the pattern the "Zelda" pattern simply because it makes
me feel like playing the old "Legend of Zelda" Nintendo game...:) It looks
like some sort of room traversal map.

        Anyway, the reason I bring up the pattern is that it is the
pattern that VP3 uses to decode fragments within superblocks. The whole
block is a superblock. Each 'X' is a fragment. Currently in my decoder, I
have a table called zelda[] that helps traverse through the map. I was
trying to think of a better name for it...:)

        Dan: Can you confirm or deny that the pattern is based on the
Hilbert Curve? Or is that some strange coincidence?

        Thanks...

--
	-Mike Melanson