[theora-dev] [OT] Just saying hi!

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Wed Feb 26 06:49:13 PST 2003

Hi,

On 26 Feb 2003, Carsten Haese wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 04:37, Christoph Lampert wrote:
> > I'm particularly interested in how you manage to keep everything free of
> > patents, in particular since I know that there are patents (claimed) on
> > such trivial stuff like motion vector prediction and decision when to
> > encode and when to skip a block.
>
> There is a little technicality that I'd like to point out, even though
> it makes no difference as far as developing and using Theora is
> concerned. VP3, the codec that Theora is based on, is actually not
> strictly patent free. However, quoting from the "VP3 Legal Terms"
> section on http://www.theora.org/cvs.html:

Sorry, yes, I should have found that myself...

> "On2 represents and warrants that it shall not assert any rights
> relating to infringement of On2's registered patents, nor initiate any
> litigation asserting such rights, against any person who, or entity
> which utilizes the On2 VP3 Codec Software, including any use,
> distribution, and sale of said Software; which make changes,
> modifications, and improvements in said Software; and to use,
> distribute, and sell said changes as well as applications for other
> fields of use."
>
> In short, On2 have effectively neutered the VP3 patents, so even though
> VP3 is technically patented, it is not subject to patent licensing.

Yes, thank you. That is a difference of course (and very generous of
On2 ;-). Is there an overview of their patents which were declare free for
public use?

Christoph

--
Christoph H. Lampert chl at math,uni-bonn,de | Diese Signature ist maschinell
Beringstr. 6, Zi. 15, 53115 Bonn, Germany | erstellt und auch ohne Unter-