[theora-dev] Ogg MIME types scheme

Dan Miller dan at on2.com
Thu Feb 13 23:48:29 PST 2003

first,

My deepest apologies for another HTML posting.  Hopefully it will be the last.

>So, just to confirm, we will be able to take this footage and convert it
to Ogg Theora down the road right?  This is pretty important to us, to
be able to archive all this video patent-free without having to
transcode it down the road..
This is an important question. I cannot answer categorically since in the end it is up to Xiph (Monty) to ensure that this remains the case. However my understanding is as follows: the intention is to make Theora 1.0 'upwards compatible' with VP3. What I mean by that is that a VP3 bitstream can be _losslessly_ converted into a Theora stream (but not necessarily vice versa). While some configuration bits and headers will change, the decompressed data will be 100% identical to what you would get with the original file, and the datarate will be almost exactly the same (a few K of global header, and perhaps a few bytes per frame may be added).

Note however that the tool that does this conversion needs to be created by someone. The documentation will make it possible, and I will make a personal commitment to support anyone involved. I may even build the tool myself, but I don't want to make a blanket commitment at this point as I have no idea what my situation will be when the time is right to do it.  Also my experience is more with AVI files; I assume this is a Quicktime thing.

However I think it's critical for us to confirm that this is technically possible without superhuman effort. The way things stand right now, that's definitely the case. The only thing that could change the situation would be some major monkeying deep in the Theora/VP3 coder, and at this point that is not anticipated prior to the first official release.

-dbm