[theora-dev] [OT] Just saying hi!

Dan Miller dan at on2.com
Wed Feb 26 12:36:53 PST 2003

quick points --

on the coeff layout, both patent and datarate considerations exist.  The original VP3 was intended as a low-resolution, low-datarate codec, so the performance issues were not paramount.  On modern PC's, even a 320x240 image can mostly be kept in cache, so it's not too bad a hit.  It helps datarate given that the entropy coder is not so sophisticated.  And it definitely avoids some of the most difficult patents.  Downside is playback performance on higher-res material is probably not as great as we would like.  However machines are pretty fast these days, and other codecs have other deficiencies that slow them down, so it's probably a wash.

motion: VP3 uses only full-pel and 1/2 pel bilinear MV's.  The wierd case is when X and Y vectors are both 1/2 pel aligned; in this case we interpolate along the diagonal (look at the code to find out exactly how that works).  It's very fast with SIMD.

VP3 only has I and P frames, no B frames.  B frames traditionally don't help much on datarate per se; they are there mostly to avoid a 'pulsing' that can occur when keyframes come after alot of interframes (theoretically they could help with dissolves, but that's very encoder-specific).  However good rate controls and smart encoding help to avoid the pulsing problem.  B-frames are a huge religious issue among video coder geeks.  We (at On2) are in the "B-frames are stupid and unnecessary" camp.  They certainly make encoders & decoders much more complicated.  And they kill latency.

this just in:

NUM_HUFF_TABLES = 80, MAX_ENTROPY_TOKENS = 32, tot = 2560