[theora-dev] [OT] Just saying hi!

Dan Miller dan at on2.com
Wed Feb 26 07:55:54 PST 2003

Excellent overview.  As to the original question (how do we *know* a codec is patent-free), the simple answer is, we never really do.  Unfortunately, the situation is this:  Xiph does its best to put out a codec that does not infringe on anyone's patent claims.  However it is not feasible to check all relevant  patents, and even if they could, there are patents not yet issued (and therefore not accessible under US law for the most part).  Furthermore, experts can and do differ on interpreting claims and priorities of patents.  In fact there is extensive litigation on patents all the time over conflicting interpretations of claims.  The results of litigation (if it goes to trial), and even the results of settled actions, can have a huge effect on the perceived validity or lack thereof of specific patents.  No one assumes that the patent examiner did a perfect job in finding all prior art, or interpreting it correctly (nor should they; examiners are underpaid and overworked).

The fact that On2 has some patents (issued and pending) covering VP3 is actually a good thing, because it lessens the field of potential claims by 3rd parties.  Another point of reference is that On2/Duck has been developing its codec technology for 10 years, and has never, to my knowledge (I've been CTO since its inception, and CEO for two years during 1999-2000) received any correspondence indicating a challenge to its IP (Intellectual Property) from any 3rd party seeking patent royalties or attempting to interfere with the sale of On2's products in any way.

While there are indeed patents that seem to claim rather fundamental aspects of video coding, many experts in the field feel that most of these patents are over-reaching and would not stand up to a serious court challenge.  This fact is known to the patent-holders, who are very careful not to seek to enforce their patents unless they are reasonably sure they will win the fight, as if the patent is found lacking in court it becomes essentially worthless.  For the most part, these patents are part of the pool of MPEG patents administered by Dolby and MPEG-LA (strength in numbers -- the whole issue of whether creating such a patent pool is even legal under antitrust law is another discussion).  I am not aware of any case where these patents were used to claim infringement or demand royalties _except_ to extract royalties from users of the MPEG specifications.  In other words, for the most part the patent holders seem interested in going after MPEG users, not creators or users of non-MPEG codecs such as VP3 (this would seem to make MPEG-based technologies like DivX and Xvid more likely targets for action than Theora).  This could of course change, but it appears to have been the strategy so far.  After all, it doesn't make sense to sue someone unless you expect to make some money, and most of the users of open-source multimedia software are unwilling and/or unable to pay licensing fees -- they'll just move on to another technology (that's why they came here in the first place).  They're just not an attractive target for this sort of litigation.

I hope this helps clear the air somewhat.  I know that engineers and others would rather hear some sort of blanket assurance that there could never be a problem with patent-free software, but the fact is that the system is rigged so as to make such a claim impossible to make in good faith.  In the US in particular (I'm not as familiar with the European or Asian systems, though I suspect things are similar), anyone can file a patent for relatively little money, get it issued with only rudimentary research into its validity, and sit around waiting for someone to make some money who they can claim is infringing their patent.  It happens all the time, in every industry (see for example http://www.stblaw.com/FSL5CS/memos/memos1218.asp).

-dbm