[theora-dev] Ogg MIME types scheme

Dan Miller dan at on2.com
Sat Feb 15 14:47:33 PST 2003

see my previous post.  I believe you _will_ be able to 'transcode' VP3 to Theora losslessly.  Not to say there won't be some issues, like audio, sync, interleave etc.  But in theory the bitstream cab be preserved.

On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 06:47 am, Arc wrote:

> So, just to confirm, we will be able to take this footage and convert
> it
> to Ogg Theora down the road right?  This is pretty important to us, to
> be able to archive all this video patent-free without having to
> transcode it down the road..

Erm, I'm not sure what you mean by 'convert'. If you have the original
footage, you can always re-encode it when better codec technology
becomes available. Theora, vp32, mpeg, etc. are all lossy distribution
formats; you don't 'convert' from one to the other, you create new
versions from higher-quality masters. You must save your original tapes
or at least the master edit.

If you're asking whether the eventual theora codec will be able to play
vp32 video, I think that's an open question. Probably, but not
necessarily. With vorbis we were very careful to maintain backward
compatibility over development, but I've not seen a similar statement
from Monty on theora. Of course, vp32 is now open source and patent
free, so there's no need to worry in that sense.

Exciting news, though! It's great to have some of the indymedia groups
adopting libre distribution formats. I look forward to seeing it.

Cheers,