[theora-dev] What sort of math i required?

Martin Jeppesen erivy7302 at sneakemail.com
Sun Dec 7 13:25:14 PST 2003

> MDCT is Vorbis only. Theora is based on a 2D 8-point Type II DCT (e.g.,
> a regular DCT). For the large majority of the work, you don't really
> even need to understand how this works. The transform in use is fixed,
> and our VP3 compatibility goal will not let us change it. You can just
> treat it as a black box.

What about in the future? Must later versions of Theora always be backward
compatible with VP3? Or will Theora be renamed when it is not compatible
with VP3 anymore doe to competition from other codecs?

> If I were picking courses, I'd want some advanced linear algebra (e.g.,
> something that goes beyond the introductory course method of just
> talking about matrices, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors, etc., and
> develops the abstract ideas of what a vector space is, an inner product
> space, etc.), and at least some simple singal processing (know what a
> Fourier transform is, its connection with the DCT, understand at least
> the basics of the frequency domain). If your university has a
> compression/information theory course, it might certainly be
> interesting, but Theora doesn't use much beyond RLE and Huffman codes.

An advanced linear algebra course sounds interesting indeed! Can you give
an example where linear algebra is heavily used in Theora?

> After that there is a ton of specialized domain literature that needs to
> be read and understood. I doubt many universities have actual classes on
> these things, and if they do, they probably don't delve very deep. Don't
> let this scare you; most of this part can be done "on the job" as it were.

Well, I already now have some clues; signal processing and spectral theory,
advanved linear algebra, Information and compression theory.

Do you know titles of this specialized domain that you speak of?

Thanks.

Martin