[theora-dev] What sort of math i required?

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at vt.edu
Sat Dec 6 10:41:58 PST 2003

Ralph Giles wrote:
> Yes, the MDCT is a big part of both Theora and Vorbis. Information theory is the basis of all

MDCT is Vorbis only. Theora is based on a 2D 8-point Type II DCT (e.g.,
a regular DCT). For the large majority of the work, you don't really
even need to understand how this works. The transform in use is fixed,
and our VP3 compatibility goal will not let us change it. You can just
treat it as a black box.

If I were picking courses, I'd want some advanced linear algebra (e.g.,
something that goes beyond the introductory course method of just
talking about matrices, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors, etc., and
develops the abstract ideas of what a vector space is, an inner product
space, etc.), and at least some simple singal processing (know what a
Fourier transform is, its connection with the DCT, understand at least
the basics of the frequency domain). If your university has a
compression/information theory course, it might certainly be
interesting, but Theora doesn't use much beyond RLE and Huffman codes.

After that there is a ton of specialized domain literature that needs to
be read and understood. I doubt many universities have actual classes on
these things, and if they do, they probably don't delve very deep. Don't
let this scare you; most of this part can be done "on the job" as it were.