[theora-dev] First steps towards a simple text stream format.

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Wed Aug 27 15:14:32 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 07:26:44PM +0200, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> Yes, that does look very attractive :) My objection is not with the
> format of this, but with the headers that wrap around the entire ogg
> stream with the purpose of allowing search engine spiders to "penetrate"
> the file. This is somehow mixing two different things.

yes, that's correct -- which is why the annodex bitstream and cmml are
two different things.

Annodex provides the meta-headers to allows reassembly of fragments and
easy proxying etc., and can be used with any Ogg streams. libannodex
provides importers for vorbis/speex/theora, pcm sndfiles, cmml and
also annodex files, and can merge any number of these together with
correct synchronisation.

CMML is an html-like markup designed for hyperlinking and annotation in
media files. Its usage within Annodex is streamable (anchor tags are
self-contained state changes, not open/close pairs). Outside of Annodex
it's a useful authoring language, and interoperates well with other
publishing and media management stuff.

both libraries (libcmml, libannodex) are available under the same terms
as all the ogg stuff (the same BSD-like license) with full specs at
www.annodex.net :)

Conrad.