[theora-dev] First steps towards a simple text stream format.

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Sun Aug 10 03:57:51 PDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 02:12:23AM +0200, Philip J?genstedt wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 09:33:46 +1000 Silvia.Pfeiffer at csiro.au wrote:
>
> > you might want to check out www.annodex.net . Annodex defines an annotation
>
> Yes, this is a bit too specialized for my liking. I don't know if it's a
> fetish or what, by I want things to be generic and reusable, so as to
> not place limitations on its use. Being able to do more than you want
> isn't exactly a limitation, but it discourages the use of that thing for
> more generic things. Somehow, no subtitle format, no matter how complex
> will be able to do everything all the people on earth want to do. For
> this reason, I think it should just do as little as possible, leaving
> the more complex situation for another format -- more complex but still
> generic (yes, I mean SVG). I guess it's the UNIX philosophy of "do one
> thing, and do it good" that's gotten to me.

ure, one of our major goals for annodex as to make it as generic as
possible -- hence there's only one tag through the stream and if people
want to do something more complex they can do so with meta tags etc.
without cluttering the normal text.

obviously using xml syntax makes it a tad larger than packing characters
but it means you don't need to re-invent multi-language support and
implementors can use existing tools.

other neat relevent things in annodex include redundant annotations (for
unreliable transports) and arbitrary-precision granulerates for
annotations (so you can maintain text timing even if you transcode
the codec streams to different framerates).

and at the end of the day it all works with ogg :)

> Neverthless, there are some interresting ideas (like being able to
> specify a timebase instead of fixing at, say 0.001 seconds as I had
> thought) in annodex, and I shall read the spec closely before moving on.

cool, and try the code too :)

Conrad.