[theora-dev] Keyframe seeking in Ogg and spec

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Sep 16 14:41:39 PDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 06:31:20PM -0300, Tabuleiro wrote:
> > Yes, there are absolute timestamps.  Did you read the whole thing?
>
> Yup, more than once, no need to be harsh. You wrote (for the simpler scheme,
> for example):

Apologies, short nerves. In other places, I've had to explain this
many times to folks who resolutely refuse to get it.  You obviously do
get it, I'm sorry for being harsh.

In the simpler scheme, yes, it's an absolute frame number, and a
timestamp could be substituted.  We're currently going for option 3 to
simplify finding keyframes.  It's still straight arithmetic, though.

> I did not understand this, could you please clarify? If you are streaming
> something over a modem connection for example, how would you tell the
> duration of the video at start?

Do you need to know the total time?  If you do, you could ask
out-of-band.  Most people listening to a true stream don't care.

> Is the seek operation to the end really cheap?

Locally, yes.

Monty