[theora-dev] Can't find the setup code

Dan Miller dan at on2.com
Mon Sep 16 08:59:20 PDT 2002

This is an accurate assessment of the situation wrt the VFW and QT VP3 codecs.  There is no file format or stream handling code per se in the codecs themselves; they simply take a bunch of pixels and return a bucket of bits, or vice versa.  It is the calling application's responsibility to open the file, parse the headers, etc.

This harks back to our discussion of toolchains.  Do you want to convert an AVI file into OGG format?  If so, we will need to get you AVI parsing code, which you won't find in the codec source.  However, if you just want to add VP3 compression support to an existing encoding tool, you should be able to call the compress code directly, put the bits in your OGG file, and reverse the process on playback.