[theora-dev] Re: Ogg IETF standard (was: Re: [vorbis-dev]application/ogg statusupdate)

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed Nov 20 23:53:59 PST 2002

At 10:38 AM 21/11/2002 +1100, you wrote:
>So the mapping between packets and pages is left to be specified
>whenever another media encoder uses Ogg and the recommendation is to use
>4-8 kB pages then - yet, there is no specific recommendation for the
>media encoder's packet sizes. (Kinda makes sense :)

Roughly right. However, there isn't any real 'mapping' between packets
and pages. The ogg specifications defines what pages are, and how packets
get framed into pages, but doesn't define anything about how that mapping
should be done (i.e. choices of packets-per-page, page size, etc. are
not defined), and it isn't really specified by the encoder either - the
encoder chooses to use a particular set of parameters, but has no need
to fix those or specify them in other ways.

>I've attached an updated version of the proposed RFC for Ogg. It's too
>late to get into the current IETF meeting. I will submit it on the 29th
>November to IETF.

I'll have a read later - thanks for doing all the work with this.

Hopefully Monty will take a look through this at some point.

Michael

Michael