[theora-dev] More introductions

Daniel B. Miller dan at on2.com
Thu Jul 18 15:05:29 PDT 2002

wow -- turn aside for a moment, and things heat up.  Glad to see some
interest here.  I'll answer what I can from my perspective over a few
posts.

First, for those who don't know, I am one of the original VP3 developers.
As CTO of On2, I was involved in the decision to release VP3 as open
source, and in the recent decision to migrate the codebase to Xiph.  I
will be making myself available to Theora, time permitting, to help with
the integration effort, documentation of the VP3 bitstream, and future
versions of the codec.  Note however that I am not a Xiph employee; Monty
et al will be the final arbiters of what transpires on their servers.

My understanding at present is that Xiph will continue to host the QT and
VFW versions of VP3.  There are a number of good reasons for this, which
are mentioned in some of the recent posts.  We feel it is important to
have a clean workflow path from common source formats such as .MOV and
.AVI, into the OGG format.  Eventually we hope that there will be a
thriving set of tools that support OGG natively; but that will of course
take time.  In the meantime, it will be critical for there to be an easy
conversion path from today's formats into OGG.

I am willing to support these components as I have at On2 for a while,
until others get up to speed and take my place.  Presently, the theora CVS
repository has a recently updated version that builds all the platforms we
presently support, which are as follows:

* VFW for Windows
* QT for Windows
* QT for MacOS
* QT for OSX

Please post any build, compile, or install questions to
theora-dev at xiph.org and I will try to answer them.

(++,) CTO and founder, On2 Technologies