[theora-dev] Packetizing theora streams

Jeroen Vreeken pe1rxq at amsat.org
Sun Dec 22 15:02:40 PST 2002

Hi,

I'm currently building a decentralized streaming network for linking
amateur radio repeaters.
At the moment I use small packets of audio data encoded with the speex
codec over UDP.
I am currently looking at a way to send audio+video in a similar manner for
linking Amateur Television repeaters.

Is it possible to chop a theora stream into small independand pieces (sub
second or a few seconds max)?
The receiver has to be able to 'tune in' to the stream and start displaying
the video stream within a few seconds. For this reason a stream with a
header is almost certainly out of the question unless it is repeated every
few seconds.
Is this possible with theora?
How well does theora react when packets are dropped?

Thanks,
Jeroen