[theora-dev] Analogue artifact estimation

Henry Mason hip245 at operamail.com
Sat Aug 31 21:04:21 PDT 2002

I think a lot these kind of artifacts are better handled through pre-processing. Something like a temporal smoother can pretty effectively limit pixel crawl and the like, and it's a well known fact that simply blurring a video makes it compress more efficiently. In fact, many have said that VP3 already pre- and post- filters too much, which can lead to blurry video.

-Henry