[theora-dev] Color perception during encoding

S.L.L. Tan louistan at bigfoot.com
Fri Aug 16 21:32:27 PDT 2002

Hello,

I'm sorry if this mail is somehow inappropriate but I
couldn't find another feedback address on the Ogg
Theora site.

What I want to tell the people who are making a GUI
(Graphical User Interface) for a Theora encoder is. If
you intend to add a color adjuster to your encoder
program, make the GUI a boring NEUTRAL GRAY!

The reason is that human color perception of one part
of the screen is influenced by the color of another part
of the screen next to it.

For example, if you had a GUI that is bright green, and
you adjusted the color of the video using that GUI. Then
the video would look wrong in a video player with a red
GUI.

This is also the reason why you should color a comic in
Photoshop using a grey background instead of a white
one.

Hope this helps, good luck with the project. You're
doing something great.