[theora-codecs] Installation Problems

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at xiph.org
Mon May 12 08:52:31 PDT 2003

The installer is a simple Apple package, no scripts at all, just the main
file and the location where it should be decompressed, and set to ask for
administrative passwords. I have tested it under OSX 10.1.3, 10.2.1, 10.2.4
and 10.2.6, using clean system installs or upgrades (we have images of clean
systems with default permissions and installations in our test suite, for
test purposes.) As I see it there are two possible reasons for the failure,
and I have tried to address both in a new package available at the download
site now:

a) Corrupt package. The package file is really a directory (bundle) as you
know, and it is supplied in a sit file. I remember that some versions of
Stuffit may have problems with different client versions, and I used 6.5 to
compress it. I have changed the installer container format to a bin-hexed
Disk Image in order to avoid this potential issue. This should eliminate the
.sit compression variable.

b) Lack of permissions (non-standard permission settings in the
Library/Quicktime folder). The installer should ask you for an
administrative password if you are not logged as an administrator. Again
there are some reports that users may end up with an incorrect set of
permissions on some system directories depending on your upgrade path to get
to 10.2.6. I don't think this error is avoidable, so the workaround is to
include a standalone version of the codec (just the codec file) and
instructions to install it for the users that can not use a standard
installer for some reason. This also address the needs of users that may
want to install the codec for example just for one user in the machine, and
have no administrative rights (just put it in the personal
~/Library/Quicktime folder, instructions provided in the updated file.)

Hope it helps, updated package is already online. I also made standalone
versions of the Windows codecs available, for users that want to create
their own installers.

Regards,
Mauricio