[theora-codecs] RE: [theora-dev] Proof of Concept

Dan Miller dan at on2.com
Mon Mar 10 07:19:44 PST 2003

ok so the idea here is simply to have another codec format for AVI file sharing, ie alternative to DIVX.

In this case you should make sure the files produced are bitwise compatible with the old VP3 codecs (Monty  added one bit or something, and I added the header stuff).

Otherwise there will be serious confusion in the 'marketplace' over what VP3/theora files really mean.  The new bitstream should be reserved for Ogg files, at least until we get our QT/AVI conversion issues straight.

 ___  Dan Miller
(++,) Founder, CTO, On2 Technologies