[theora-codecs] FrameRate Control

Oliver Darvall od at ananzi.co.za
Mon Jan 20 10:19:35 PST 2003

Hi Guys,

PIV-3.06GHz HT, DDR333, Win2000 Prof Sp3, Visual C++ 6, Vp3 Codec...

I have a small multi-threaded application in which one thread captures video and then passes it on to another thread (through IPC) for compression and storage.

I now have an interesting situation in which I can not seem to compress the captured video fast enough and yet the processor utilization is well below 75%. I capure video (from two sources) at 60 fps and then pass it to the compressor to be processed. The problem is that as soon as the total frame rate is higher than about 45fps then it seems like the compressor can't keep up and start falling behind (the number of messages in the ipc queue increases faster than they can be read and processed).

My problem is thus quite simply that I am not able to push the compressor to the absolute extremes of the available processor capacity. So, my question is quite simply this: Is there a built in framerate control, or cpu utilization control, mechanism built into the Vp3 codec/compressor that inhibits me from compressing video at a rate higher than 45 fps? If so, where can I change the appropriate settings, or where in the source code can I try and change this behaviour ?

Thanks
Oliver

P.S. The previous compressor was a Jpeg based compressor in which I am able to push it until the processor hits a solid 100% utilization (at about 160 fps)