[Speex-dev] Status of speexdsp?

kraileth at elderlinux.org kraileth at elderlinux.org
Wed Jan 3 09:23:35 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

while I've been a user of both Vorbis and Speex since about 2005, this
is the first time I write to the dev mailing list. I created ports for
both SpeexDSP and Speex for Ravenports and have a question regarding
the status of SpeexDSP.

Ravenports is a new universal package building system for *nix systems
that supports Linux, FreeBSD, DragonflyBSD and Solaris (with more
platforms planned for later). It follows the philosophy of doing
things right and has a few rules that are a bit more strict than a lot
of packaging guidelines. One of them is "no release candidates" and
another is "communicate with upstream".

For SpeexDSP the former is a problem since there has never been a
formal release. My understanding is that release candidates mark the
end of the beta phase of a software. They are released when the
developers are generally confident in their work and just want to give
the general public a last chance of finding any bugs left over before
making the actual release that may need to be supported for a long time.

Is there any technical reason why SpeexDSP never saw an official
release (which makes the project look abandoned at first glace)? It's
been three years since rc3 was released and that has been in
widespread use since then. Since there has not happened much in the
source repo, what are the chances of releasing what was rc3 or the
current head as 1.2.0?

I'd also like to thank everybody involved in the project for their
time and effort. Speex has been a very useful codec for me for a long
time now.

Regards,
Michael