[Speex-dev] Acoustic echo cancellation

Li Maoquan limaoquan2000 at 126.com
Mon Apr 18 17:21:58 PDT 2011

>>> I have a scenario in a mobile VoIP app that requires echo cancellation but
>>> is somewhat different from what's described in the docs.
>>>
>>> Audio is received from and sent to the network at 8000Hz. Each packet
>>> contains 160 samples worth a playback of 20ms.
>>>
>>> But the hardware requires aggregation for both playback and capture. So for
>>> playback, I coalesce 4 packets in a buffer and queue them as a larger buffer
>>> for playback.
>>> On the send side, I read a large buffer (worth 4 packets) and send them out
>>> over time 20ms apart.
>>>
>>> I tried using speex_echo_playback just when a 160-sample packet arrives from
>>> the network, before coalescing and speex_echo_capture just before a packet
>>> is sent out to the network but that doesn't seem to work properly (doesn't
>>> cancel any echo).
>>
>> The most likely reason is that you didn't align the far-end and near-end samples.
>> So the filter can not converge.
>
>Thanks for your response. Can you please explain what you mean by
>align samples from near-end and far-end? And how is that usually
>accomplished?

You need to know the total delay caused by DAC buffer before speaker, ADC buffer
after microphone and acoustic path between speaker and microphone. Simply to say,
if you play an impluse signal and its first echo appears after N sample cycles,
you can call N as the delay between y (echo in near-end signal) and x (far-end
signal). Then you can buffer far-end signal for N-M cycles before sending to AEC.
M is a little number (such as 100) in order to avoid filter failure when echo
path drifts.