[Speex-dev] AEC strangest behavior

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Tue Mar 16 20:29:31 PDT 2010

On 2010-03-16 14:22, Josh Gargus wrote:
>> If more than one speaker receives the *same* signal, it doesn't
>> matter the number of speakers. It only gets tricky when the
>> speakers are playing slightly different signals (e.g. from a stereo
>> song).
>
> Does "tricky" mean that the Speex AEC won't handle such situations
> well?  Or just that you had to be extraordinarily clever in order to
> make Speex AEC handle such situations well?  :-)

Tricky here means that I got it to work in some scenarios, but it likely
will not work out-of-the-box and you'd be on your own because I don't
have time to help on that.

> We're thinking of using Speex AEC in the context of a virtual
> environment using OpenAL for spatialized sound.  Is there any hope
> that this could work?  What could we do (short of not spatializing
> sound input) to make things easier for the AEC algorithm?

As long as the spatialization transfer function is constant, then a mono
AEC will work. If you only have a few different transfer functions, that
may be an option. For time-varying spatialization with many (>2)
channels, forget about AEC unless you're willing to spend a *lot* of
time on that.

	Jean-Marc