[Speex-dev] Problems with Speex Resamplers

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Dec 6 06:46:54 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Sherief N. Farouk at 06/12/10 14:29 did gyre and gimble:
> If you can produce a simple minimal repro that exhibits this issue on some
> procedural signal (sine wave, etc) I'd love to look into it some more - I'm
> maintaining a hardened version of the Speex Resampler and would be very
> concerned if this bug made it into production.

Well at present, I'm not sure it is a bug at all.

I suspect that it is in some capacity related to PulseAudio's rewinding
that causes this. e.g. a new sounds starts that triggers a rewind, and
the resampler is reset and some other rewind happens and the latency of
the resampler during this reset phase is somehow longer than we need it
to be or something along those lines. After the rewind is dealt with,
then the latency of the resampler is not a problem any more... (and not
resetting and doing other such things also prevents overhead).

I'm not sure about the above hand-wavey, vague explanation but I suspect
it's something in that general area that's causing the problems rather
than a bug in speex per se.

Col.

--

Colin Guthrie