[Speex-dev] VS2005 build stability?

Kerry Bonin kerry at vscape.com
Wed Oct 1 09:29:25 PDT 2008

Hello!  I couldn't find any recent discussion of this, so thought I'd
post, and I'm not clear who maintains the Win32 build environment or I'd
have contacted them directly.  I've finally gotten around to turning
voice back on in my project, and I'm having issues with obtaining a
stable build in VS2005.  I've checked out SVN trunk of obb (as libogg)
and speex, built libogg with no problems in debug and release mode, but
am having problems with the speex projects.  I've reproduced these on
three (multicore) machines, two XP and one Vista.

Some of the strange intermittent errors (like access denied on .pdb
files, and build log could not be opened for writing) look like race
issues in DevStudio.  I've never encountered this one before (and I work
on some rather large projects), might be a mistake in project
dependencies causing collisions between parallel build processes on a
multi-core box?

I'm also seeing a mostly consistent link error, in which two of my three
machines can't link speexenc due to what looks like a failure to find
the run time libraries.  I don't see anything jumping out at me in terms
of project misconfiguration, and stranger still on one of my boxes it
successfully linked after jumping around between various build
configurations.  Actual link error pasted below...

I saw exact same behavior for checkout via SVN and GIT, which leads me
to believe synchronization between SVN and GIT is still active?

So, questions:

- Anyone else see this?
- Who maintains the Win32 projects (at least the VS2005)?  I'd be happy
to work with to solve.
- If nobody is actively maintaining this build, I'd be glad to fix and
contribute back.
- On the SVN vs. GIT query above, are these still synched?  We use SVN
for rest of project, so including via svn external is very convenient,
nice to know if valid...

Just wanted to touch base with the list before I burnt time tracking
down Microsoft issues, in case there are any simpler fixes for this I
missed in mailing list archives and google...

Thanks!

Kerry

--- top of link errors ---

1>------ Build started: Project: speexenc, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Linking...
1>libspeex.lib(speex_callbacks.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol _fprintf
1>libspeex.lib(speex_header.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol _fprintf
1>libspeex.lib(modes_wb.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
_fprintf
1>libspeex.lib(sb_celp.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
_fprintf
1>libspeex.lib(nb_celp.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
_fprintf
1>libspeexdsp.lib(fftwrap.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol _fprintf
1>libspeexdsp.lib(mdf.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_fprintf referenced in function _speex_echo_state_init_mc
1>libspeex.lib(speex.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
_fprintf
1>libspeex.lib(bits.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
_fprintf
1>getopt.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _fprintf
1>speexenc.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _fprintf
1>wav_io.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _fprintf
1>libspeexdsp.lib(preprocess.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol _fprintf
1>libspeex.lib(speex_header.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol ___iob_func
1>libspeex.lib(modes_wb.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
___iob_func
1>libspeex.lib(sb_celp.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
___iob_func
1>libspeex.lib(nb_celp.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
___iob_func
1>libspeexdsp.lib(fftwrap.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol ___iob_func
1>libspeexdsp.lib(mdf.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
___iob_func
1>libspeex.lib(speex.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
___iob_func
1>libspeex.lib(bits.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
___iob_func
1>getopt.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol ___iob_func
referenced in function __getopt_internal
1>speexenc.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___iob_func
1>wav_io.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___iob_func
1>libspeexdsp.lib(preprocess.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol ___iob_func
1>getopt.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _strlen
referenced in function __getopt_internal
1>skeleton.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _strlen