[Speex-dev] Enabling Speex VBR for VoIP

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Sat Jun 28 07:02:51 PDT 2008

Rachel Lathbury a écrit :
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. I would like to enable VBR with the Speex codec for VoIP
> communications. Is this setting made within VoIP clients themselves or
> is it a setting that must be changed on the specific version of Speex
> (for example, via command line)?

See the SPEEX_SET_VBR and SPEEX_SET_VBR_QUALITY options. But be aware
that unless you're aggregating many VoIP calls on the same link, there's
little use for VBR in VoIP.

> 2. If not, is there any way to create RTP packets via the Speex command
> line? (The goal is to view the lengths of the packets created by VBR
> encoding.)

You cannot create RTP packets from speexenc. If you only want to see the
length, you can either use the -V option, or encode to Ogg and use
oggzdump to inspect packets.

Cheers,