[Speex-dev] Quick bug in speexenc

Michel Donais michel at ludia.com
Wed Feb 13 07:53:50 PST 2008

Yes of course,

WAV files are separated in chunks. _Usually_, the last chunk is "data", and
after the data, the file ends. However, that's not _always_ true.

In the case of ProTools, they are adding a "extZ", "minf", "elml", "regn"
and "ovwf" chunk after that one.

Speexenc would determine in variable size the "data" chunk size, then every
loop would reduce remaining "size" by the frame size (getting a negative
value at the last frame). The fread would read the full frame size, and then
it would succeed in reading that frame (because of additional chunks), hence
it would get extraneous data.

I cannot send to the list an example wav due to copyright constraints,
however to reproduce the behavior, you can always take a normal wav, write
"TEST" followed by 80 00 00 00 and 128 bytes of garbage using a binary
editor.

Thanks
Michel