[Speex-dev] Question about UWB

John Ridges jridges at masque.com
Mon Dec 1 09:13:33 PST 2008

Hi all,

One question that I hope someone on the list just knows the answer to
without having to delve too deeply into the code: How does UWB mode
divvy up the bandwidth and pack it in the bitstream? I know from the
documentation that WB mode codes the first 0-4K kHz band as a Narrowband
packet, and then adds on the 4-8 kHz band coded separately (so that a NB
decoder can decode a WB bitstream by just ignoring the second band;
rather clever I thought), but it doesn't describe how UWB mode works.
Does UWB keep the 0-4 kHz NB packet, and then add a 4-16 kHz UWB packet?
Or does UWB contain both a NB and WB packet, and add a 8-16 kHz part? Or
something completely different? I'm just trying to figure out which
decode modes will decode which encode mode bitstreams. Thanks,

--John Ridges