[Speex-dev] WaveIn/WaveOut and Speex

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Sun Nov 4 20:25:42 PST 2007

> When I was going from Char to float and back looked very wrong to me

it not only *looked* wrong!

> as well, but I was just not sure (and still am) how to translate the
> Char* audio stream generated by WaveIn to a format that can be
> understood by Speex. Would using speex_decode_int and
> speex_encode_int instead of speex_decode and speex_encode be the
> answer?

Using speex_encode_int() might happen to work on your PC, but then going
to a different platform, endianness might turn around and bite you. The
correct thing would be to encode (either using the int or the float
version) and do the conversion by hand using proper endianness. To do
that, you need to actually figure out how Windows actually interprets
its stream of bytes (can't help you on that).

	Jean-Marc