[Speex-dev] did I screw up encode?

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Thu Aug 23 19:14:16 PDT 2007

> About 2 weeks ago I got speex to work great on my test project.  it
> sounded great and ran just fine.  then I had to put it on a project that
> might need to get sold to see if it would work and I had to cut some
> stuff out of the code to make it work, and it did for a while until I
> cut one thing too many and now no matter what I do it sounds like crap.

That's what revision control systems are for (you are using one,
right?). Using git-bisect has already saved my ass a few time since i
switched from svn to git.

> my problem is with encode,  I have determined that I can decode just
> fine, I can take an outside encoded message and decode it and it sounds
> just fine, but I cannot encode something and decode it outside the
> project.  I am getting some of what was recorded but it sounds terrible
> (like I was initializing the speex states every frame, but I am not).  I
> was hoping that someone could look at encode for me to see if I cut
> something necessary.

I interpret this as "would someone please do my job?" and the answer is
"no".

> for the life of me I can't figure out what I did.

Just go back and see when you broke it. You start from a point where it
worked and test half way in your revisions... and you keep bisecting
until you find where you screwed up. Done right, it only takes about
log2(N) tests, where N is the number of revisions you have.

Cheers,