[Speex-dev] Re: just noise

zmorris at mac.com zmorris at mac.com
Tue Apr 24 18:38:16 PDT 2007

On Apr 21, 2007, at 5:49 PM, zmorris at mac.com wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2007, at 3:53 PM, zmorris at mac.com wrote:
>
>> On Apr 21, 2007, at 12:36 PM, zmorris at mac.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I tried both the stable and beta versions of the speex source
>>> code download on Mac OS 10.4.9.  I just do:

>>> However, when I play the output file, I get the header and a
>>> second of audio, but the rest is just noise.
>>
>> I figured it out, the problem is that WAV files are little endian
>> and I am on powerpc, so the sample byte order must be swapped.
>> That still isn't the whole story, and I will explain how it's
>> still not working, but first you need to update your example at:
>
> OK I finally figured out the second noise problem.  It's a riddle
> wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.  Judging by the somewhat odd
> structure of le_short() and be_short(), I think this keeps coming
> up over and over again.  Even Apple's byte swapping macros fail
> under certain circumstances, and here's why:

Hi all, sorry my messages came out of order.  I believe the order
went 2-3-1.  I don't know if there is something wrong with my mac.com
account, or the xiph list server, but I got several "message couldn't
be delivered for..." warnings.  Anyway, I got all of the endian
issues sorted out and have a codewarrior and xcode project if you are
interested in adding a mac example alongside the speex download.  I
also have a codewarrior project to create a speex bundle and make a
CFM lib with glue code, to access it from carbon.  Codewarrior is a
dead IDE, but several of us mac users still prefer prototyping in it
vs. xcode.  I've never really contributed to an open source project
so don't know how to go about it.  Thanx,

Zack Morris              Z Sculpt Entertainment               This Space
zmorris at zsculpt.com      http://www.zsculpt.com                 For Rent