[Speex-dev] Licencing question

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Tue Apr 10 01:47:46 PDT 2007

Philip Bennefall a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Philip Bennefall, I am a software/game developer. A few
> weeks ago I started working on a voice chat dll library for
> developers to allow them to easily add voice chat capabilities to
> their applications. I am using Port audio for the streaming, and I am
> thinking about using Speex for the compression. I understand that in
> order to do so, I'll need to include the Speex copyright and
> disclaimer notices in my documentation. This is no problem of course.
> But my question is, will the people that purchase and use my voice
> chat library also be required to include this notice in their own
> documentation? I would prefer it if that was not the case seeing as
> how that text is rather long and I don't really want to force my
> users to do that, so I'm wondering if it is strictly nesessary?

Yes, it is necessary to propagate it. However, it's not that big of a
deal. It just needs to be included "somewhere". Could be paper
documentation, could be a distributed README file, release notes, about
dialog, help, ...

Considering you probably use other software that have similar
requirements, you can just put everything together in the same place.
What I personally recommend is creating one file that contains all that
information and instructing your clients to just copy that file and put
it in the package the distribute.