[Speex-dev] question about coding

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri May 26 12:54:47 PDT 2006

You'll definitely have to encode in little-endian form.  PCM audio is always
little-endian, to the best of my knowledge.  I have never seen any
big-endian audio data files.

The frequency-domain transforms inside Speex are written to assume that most
of the "intelligence" is carried by the MSB of a 16-bit little-endian word.
If you submit big-endian data, Speex will think you're feeding it white
noise.

That may or may not be your actual problem, of course... just something to
watch out for.

-- jm