[Speex-dev] question about coding

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Tue May 23 12:15:05 PDT 2006

You are probably reading little-endian samples on a big-endian platform, and
failing to flip the byte order.  By convention, PCM samples are generally
little-endian words, and the effect of playing them with the wrong byte
order is just what you describe hearing, with the expected  sound buried
under 8 bits' worth of random-sounding noise.

-- john