[Speex-dev] Speex echo canceller on TI C55 DSP

Jim Crichton jim.crichton at comcast.net
Wed May 10 04:27:36 PDT 2006

Jean-Marc,

Well I finally tracked down the problem.  Then I checked my mail and found
that you had fixed it several hours earlier.  :(

Build 11387 produces the same result as my modified build 11343.  Because of
compiler limitations in the TI tools, I did have to make modifications to
pseudofloat.h (separating return of float values) and nb_celp.c (adding
braces around a variable declaration in the middle of code).  I have
attached a patch.  You might prefer to do the nb_celp.c change in a
different way.

Also in the pseudofloat.h is the change to EXTRACT16 which I mentioned
earlier in the thread.  The change that I made (casting as unsigned to
prevent MSB extension) solved my problem, but maybe it would be safer to use
EXTEND32 here.  That is, after all, the way all of the other 16 bit issues
get solved.

Outside of what is in the patch, I ifdefed out the unused spx_fft_float and
spx_ifft_float in fftwrap.c (I described this earlier, it prevents the need
to include smallft.c) and commented out the memory.h and malloc.h includes
in kiss_fft.h (the TI compiler does not have these files).  When the dust
settles, I will send a patch with additions to the TI directory for the echo
canceler example, including instructions on these last changes.  Also, I
would like to modify the memory allocation to follow the same structure as
the encoder/decoder, including the ability to override the malloc function.

Finally, there is a lingering issue.  The C55 and C64 builds cancel the echo
similarly, but they do not produce the same results.  The files match for
the first 0x1000 bytes (2048 samples, or 16 frames).  We recently sorted out
something like this in the encoder, but I am not sure if the expected
results are the same here.  Do you expect bit-exact results for all
fixed-point builds?  I can look into this some more, but first I need to
figure out if I can fit the echo canceler into my application at all.

- Jim