[Speex-dev] New jitter.c, bug in speex_jitter_get?

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Wed May 3 10:07:32 PDT 2006

Mike Taht wrote:

> On 5/3/06, *Jean-Marc Valin* <Jean-Marc.Valin at usherbrooke.ca
> <mailto:Jean-Marc.Valin at usherbrooke.ca>> wrote:
>
>     > I must say I really like the generalized jitter buffer though :)
>     It's a
>     > cleaner and more flexible implementation and can more easily be
>     adjusted
>     > to contain additional information with each packet.
>

> This looks interesting to tie into asterisk's jb and plc code as well.

Yes.  Jean-Marc has made the API more similar.

Jean-Marc:  Have you looked at the API we have for the
asterisk/iaxclient jitterbuffer?  It's pretty close to what you have now
-- the major difference is that your jb still assumes it can "own" the
data passed in -- it copies it, and it destroys it at will.  With the
API I put together, the jitterbuffer only keeps a poiunter to the data,
and considers it opaque -- if it wants to destroy the data, it needs to
return the pointer with a flag, and then the caller is responsible for
whatever cleanup is needed.

Here's that API:
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/iaxclient/trunk/iaxclient/lib/jitterbuf.h?view=markup&rev=470

It would be cool if the speex JB could use a compatible API, then people
could always mix/match these things, and see which one works best for
different situations.

-SteveK