[Speex-dev] Compiler warnings with GCC 3.4.4 and perfomance question on a Arm 7

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Tue Jan 24 02:23:18 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 10:15 -0500, tom abcd wrote:
> I am using speex on a Philips LPC2138 Arm 7 processor and have hit two
> compiler warnings when using FIXED_POINT and the Arm 4 asm code.
>
> In cb_search.c get a warning on the call to compute_weighted_codebook of:
> "passing arg 2 of 'compute_weighted_codebook' from incompatible pointer type'

OK, I forgot to update the ARM4 code. That should definitely be fixed
(otherwise it's not going to work).

> The second warning is in ltp_arm4.h in "pitch_xcorr(" getting a warning of:
> "matching constraint does not allow a register" on the   " __asm__
> __volatile__ " line.  I have no idea how to fix this warning.

can you give me more info on this?

> Even with these errors I have gotten decoding to work YEAH!!.   It
> appears to take about 10 to 11 msec to decode one frame of a wideband
> file with enhancement on.   This is on a 60 mhz processor (suppose to
> be about 50 MIPs).   So should it take this long to decode a frame??
> If not is there something I can check?

I have found the performance/MHz of ARM CPUs is extremely variable.
Given that, the results you're getting may make sense. Just be aware
that there are still a few float operations left in wideband, so you
might be hurt a bit by that.

> Is using the Arm 4 asm code the correct thing for an Arm 7 processor?

Yes.